Monday, August 27, 2007

The Engagement Story

So what was supposed to be a 4.5 hour drive to NYC turned into a one hour drive to Providence. Instead of driving down to NYC Thursday night for a Friday confirmation, Brendan made an unexpected detour to Providence, Rhode Island.


Now I don't really like surprises. I like to know what to expect so I can plan accordingly. As we drove down 95, I kept thinking of things we would pass. First, I thought of the Wrentham Outlets and was quickly disappointed. I looked at Brendan and said "Are you taking me shopping? Because I don't have money to spend at the Outlets." "We are not going to the Outlets" he assured me. Next up, Pawtauket. I then convince myself we are going to see the Pawtauket Red Sox play. While that is fun, that is more of a Brendan thing than a Liz thing. So I am kind of disappointed. I tell him I know the surprise and that it involve sports. After a few minutes I am told we are not going to a PawSox game.


We exit in Providence and I see Ringling Brothers vans and get disappointed quickly. The week before I had surprised Brendan by taking him to the Big Apple Circus in Boston. Brendan loves the circus and I don't. I went when I was little and hated the smell of the animals. But after the circus this time I told Brendan it was better than I was expecting and I had fun. Now faced with another night at the circus I realize I didn't have THAT much fun. Luckily we quickly drive past the circus and into the heart of Providence.


Upon arrival at Hotel Providence, I asked somewhat confused "What are we doing here?" to which Brendan replied "Surprise, weare spending the night at a nice hotel." I was stillc onfused. We went upstairs and walked around thesuite. I was perusing the bedroom and Brendan hung out in the doorway. When I turned to face him, he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I was in a state of shock and asked "Are you serious?" and he replied "Yes." Again I asked, "Are you serious?" and again he answered "Yes" and looked at me awaiting a response. I finally answered "Yes" after an awkward moment of silence. He gave me the ring box and I still just stood there.


I finally composed myself, slipped the ring on and we popped open the champagne.



This is the doorway in which Brendan proposed.

No comments: